20 Jun Federal government initiates review of environmental regulation: time to rollback the rollbacks?
The Government of Canada announced today that it will be pursuing consultation on federal environmental regulations, namely:
- Reviewing federal environmental assessment processes;
- Modernizing the National Energy Board; and
- Restoring lost protections and introducing modern safeguards to the Fisheries Act and the Navigation Protection Act.
The government website describes each consultation process and provides initial opportunities to comment on two draft terms of reference regarding federal environmental assessment and modernization of the NEB.
The ELC looks forward to engaging the government to see this suite of environmental laws changed to better protect Canada’s environment. This presents an important opportunity to leave past criticism in the past and to realize a renewed commitment to core environmental law principles.
For other past posts of relevance see:
- Navigable waters may be litigable waters if Bill C-45 passes
- Federal laws protecting Canadian waters under threat